Meaning of simple past tense
The simple past (also termed as the past simple tense, past indefinite tense, or preterite tense) is a verb tense to indicate an action that is completed in the past. It is to speak about something that has already happened.
Simple past tense examples
|Base Form||Past Tense Form||Example Sentences|
|Play||Played||She played the piano every morning last month.|
|Take||Took||He took the bus to school.|
|Travel||Traveled||Jack traveled to Switzerland last year.|
|Write||Wrote||She wrote her journal yesterday night.|
|Go||Went||Jill went to school today morning.|
|Eat||Ate||She ate salad for lunch.|
|Work||Worked||She worked as a banker earlier than her current job.|
|Fly||Flew||She flew to Sydney 2 years ago.|
|Use||Used||He used the latest gadget for his work.|
|See||Saw||She saw him last October.|
Simple Past Forms
To change a verb into a past tense, (for regular verbs only) add -ed to the end of the verb (or just -d if the root form already ends in an e):
- The past tense of the verb “walk” is walked. (walk + ed)
- The past tense of the verb “type” is typed. (type + ed)
- The past tense of the verb “play” is played. (play + ed)
- The past tense of the verb “pull” is pulled. (pull + ed)
- The past tense of the verb “love” is loved. (love + ed)
It is a little complicated to change irregular verbs into past tense though. The simple past forms are more unpredictable for irregular verbs.
We usually use the simple past tense to express the following ideas
- The simple past is also frequently used to talk about past habits and generalizations which are no longer true.
Example: She was an introvert as a child, but now she is quite outspoken.
- The simple past can be used to express the idea that an action started and finished at a specific time in the past.
Example: I saw an opera day before.
- The simple past can be used to list out a series of completed actions in the past.
Example: I finished cycling, walked to the beach, and found a nice place to swim.
- The simple past can be used with a duration which starts and stops in the past, It indicates a duration of time such as years,hours, all day, all year, etc.
Examples: I lived in Colombo for five years.
- Make a sentence using the simple past tense.
- Fill in the simple past tense in the following blanks by choosing the right word from the brackets.
- She __________ to draw (Like/Likes/liked)
- She __________melodiously at the concert (sings/sang/will sing)
- He ___________to the market in the afternoon (go/went/will go)
Read more on Simple Present tense/Indefinite tenses: Click here
Read more on Simple Future tense: Click here
Read more on the 12 tenses of Engish grammar with detailed explanation and easy examples: Click here
Eigooo, the English Training Chat Application
To improve your English, the best way is to practice every day.
Eigooo supports you with a 24/7 chat service with real teachers.
- You can chat with the teacher one-on-one.
- The teacher will make immediate corrections to your messages.
- No need to make a reservation. You can start whenever you want.
- The free trial is ready.
Sign up now and get free messages to try it out