“Between” can be used in various sentences as a preposition or an adverb. The preposition “between” means “in the time, space, or interval that separates.”
The place preposition “between” is used in expressing the location of a particular item. This item has something on both sides of it.
Examples of “Between” prepositions:
- I’m sitting between Debbie and Janet. By saying this, you are telling the listeners that Debbie is on one side and Janet is on the other side of you.
- Another example, I am between jobs. By saying this, the speaker is telling the listener that they had a job earlier, they don’t currently have one, but will have a job in the near future.
How to use the place preposition “between” in a full sentence
Simply put, the preposition “between” is used to describe an object that has other objects on both sides of it. Imagine books on a shelf, if there are 3 books, one of them is between the other two.
Here are a few examples commonly used in English:
- It’s not wise to eat between meals.
- One must choose between work and play.
- At lunch, I sat between two friends.
- Keep the secret between us.
Remember, English uses 150 prepositions, but, don’t let this fact frighten you, learning a few common phrases, such as in, on, between, above, under, and besides will make you sound like a native English speaker.
Examples of the place preposition “between”
- Hungary is located between Romania and Austria.
- The teacher asked Sachi to sit between Tama and Nachi.
“Between” or “In between” preposition, difference, and examples
“Between” prepositions can be used in several ways as a preposition or an adverb, but the confusion of using the preposition between vs. in between tends to arise often.
A simple tip to remember is when using the preposition “Between” vs “In between” is, the preposition “between” always has an object, whereas when between is used as a preposition but does not have a fixed object, it is more natural to use “in between”.
Examples: Between vs In between.
- Riya sat between Stella and Rose in class.
- Ryo instructed the interior designer to place the bed between the two nightstands.
- I play badminton on Tuesdays, on Saturdays, and sometimes in between.
- The doctor asked the patient to feel free to drop in between the hours of seven and ten o’clock.
Q1: Try and make your own sentence using the preposition “between”.
Q2: Is there anything between your house and your neighbor’s house?
Q3: Do you like to sit in between your friends while watching a movie? Why or why not?
Eigooo, the English Training Chat Application
To improve your English, the best way is to practice every day.
Eigooo supports you with a 24/7 chat service with real teachers.
- You can chat with the teacher one-on-one.
- The teacher will make immediate corrections to your messages.
- No need to make a reservation. You can start whenever you want.
- The free trial is ready.
Sign up now and get free messages to try it out.