Meaning of Separable Phrasal verbs and how to use it
Phrasal verbs could be separable or inseparable. Phrasal verbs are operable when the verb and the proposition are separated by an object between them. They are: Verb + Object + Preposition
They are based on simple Phrasal Verbs:
Verb + Preposition
An example of a Separable Phrasal Verb is “turn down,” the topic of today’s lesson.
Separable Phrasal Verbs
Turn the volume down
The Separable Phrasal Verb “turn down”
The Separable Phrasal Verb “turn down” can either refer to an idiom, meaning to reject something or the act of turning down the volume on a radio. Either way, this Phrasal Verb is split up by the Sentence’s Object.
You may ask, how do I know when this phrase is used as an idiom? It’s easy to tell when the Separable Phrasal Verb “turn down” is an idiom, it’s split by the word “me,” or another Pronoun.
For Example: Turn me down / Turn you down (Here it is used as an Idiom)
Situations in which you might encounter Separable Phrasal Verbs
- You may hear a native English speaker say: “Turn down the volume.”
By saying this, the Speaker is telling the Listener that they want the music’s loudness reduced.
In reaction, you may protest and say something like “It’s fine to me. I can really feel the beat.”
- Now for “Turn me down” as an idiom. You may hear someone say:
“The baseball team never turns me down to play outfield.”
By saying this, the Speaker is telling the Listener that they are never rejected for playing the
position of an outfielder in the game of baseball.
Examples of the Separable Phrasal Verb “Turn Down”
- Richie turned down the job offer because the terms included a relocation.
- The board turned down the proposal to expand the business abroad.
- My best friend never turns me down when I ask for help.
Q1: Try making your own sentence.
Q2: Have you ever had to turn down a friend’s request? What happened?
Q3: What would make you turn down a job offer?
Eigooo, the English Training Chat Application
To improve your English, the best way is to practice every day.
Eigooo supports you with a 24/7 chat service with real teachers.
- You can chat with the teacher one-on-one.
- The teacher will make immediate corrections to your messages.
- No need to make a reservation. You can start whenever you want.
- The free trial is ready.
Sign up now and get free messages to try it out