Meaning of Gerunds
Interestingly, Gerund is pronounced JEH-ruhnd. It’s like GIF or Giraffe. I know there’s a debate about the pronunciation of GIF, but the creator, Steve Wilhite, says that it’s said with a soft j.
Simply, a Gerund is a Noun acting as a Verb. A few examples include “going, hearing,” and “having.” We make a Gerund by adding ing to the end of a Verb.
Gerunds in Sentences
Gerunds may be alone or with other words to form a Gerund Phrase. Altogether, this phrase behaves like a single Noun.
Example: Mowing the lawn is no fun
Much like Nouns and Noun Phrases, Gerunds and Gerund Phrases can be found in the Object, Subject, or Predicate Nominative portions of a sentence (In regards to SVO). And so, Gerunds can act in any way an ordinary Noun can.
How to use of Gerunds in Sentences
Gerunds are words ending in -ing that are used as nouns. It could be used as a Subject or as a direct or an indirect object, too.
- Reading is a hobby. (The gerund “reading” is used as a subect in this sentence)
- She was contemplated quitting ( The gerund “quitting” is used as a direct object in this sentence)
- The teacher spent his life teaching children. ( The gerund “teaching” is used as an indirect object in this sentence)
Examples of Gerunds
- Before going home, he went to the supermarket to buy eggs.
- Ali started crying after hearing the good news.
- We will celebrate her birthday by having dinner in a restaurant.
Q1: Try making your own sentence.
Q2: What activities are you good at? How did you become good at them?
Q3: Would you ever visit a place without knowing anything about it? Why or why not?
Eigooo, the English Training Chat Application
To improve your English, the best way is to practice every day.
Eigooo supports you with a 24/7 chat service with real teachers.
- You can chat with the teacher one-on-one.
- The teacher will make immediate corrections to your messages.
- No need to make a reservation. You can start whenever you want.
- The free trial is ready.
Sign up now and get free messages to try it out