There are some common color idioms used frequently by native English speakers. Here is a list of the 6 most popular color idioms to make you sound native in English.
6 Popular color idioms: Meaning with examples
1. Red Tape: To do something with excessive formality and rules, before any official action.
- Example 1: Immigration and getting a visa to Canada involves a lot of red tapes.
- Example 2: The government involves unnecessary red tape in approving official documents when applying for a passport.
2. Black and white: To judge everything as either one way or the other, good or bad.
- Example 1: The boss evaluates the performance of the team in black and white, he does not allow space for excuses.
- Example 2: She saw everything in black and white when it came to her children’s faults.
3. Golden opportunity: It is an opportunity or chance to succeed in something, without losing an opportunity.
- Example 1: The team did not want to miss the golden opportunity of participating in the state football match.
- Example 2: She grabbed on to the free pass for the concert considering it to be a golden opportunity to meet her favorite artist.
4. Catch red-handed: To catch someone in an act of deceit or robbery.
- Example 1: The thief was caught red-handed when he tried to sneak out through the window.
- Example 2: Roy was caught red-handed while stealing office supplies.
5. Once in a blue moon: Very rare, something that does not happen occasionally.
- Example 1: Claire attended a live concert once in a blue moon only when she had her favorite artist performing in her city.
- Example 2: He visited his parents once in a blue moon, due to the differences they had years ago.
6. Blackout: To Faint, lose consciousness. A period when total lights are put off for temporary reasons.
- Example 1: She had a blackout after the car accident.
- Example 2: The city underwent a power blackout after the severe cyclone attack.
Eigooo, the English Training Chat Application
To improve your English, the best way is to practice every day.
Eigooo supports you with a 24/7 chat service with real teachers.
- You can chat with the teacher one-on-one.
- The teacher will make immediate corrections to your messages.
- No need to make a reservation. You can start whenever you want.
- The free trial is ready.
Sign up now and get free messages to try it out